Outdo one another in showing honor.

God is gracious to show us areas of immaturity in our lives. When we are still and willing to look at the ugly in us that He is trying to bring to our attention, it is...ugly.

He's showing me some of my ugly right now. I hate what I see, but am thankful for it not remaining hidden. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Right?

It comes down to this: I need to humble myself so that I can honor others above myself.

Take myself off of the stage.
Put others on it.

The other night I read Romans 12:10 in my new Bible. It says, "...Outdo one another in showing honor." I immediately thought of an old friend who was wonderful at making much of others. She had sincere interest and kindness toward other people. I've never felt more welcome at someone's house than I did at hers. I know others who feel the same way about being around her. She has hospitality down. Not hospitality in the sense of serving fancy cakes and tea, but in the sense that when you sit on her couch, she focuses on you and others in your life. She encourages. She builds up. She's a Mary, not a Martha.

I think the interpretation of Romans 12:10 from The Message puts it well:

"...Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle."



Praying for humility,
Heather

Comments