24 Years Ago

The majority of people have the opportunity to ask about their childhood whenever they would like, but don't take advantage of it. I didn't really realize that until tonight.

While talking to my aunt about my birthday plans, she mentioned that she was there when I was born. My mom was in labor with me for hours! All day...all night...and then there was ME!

After I crowned (gross, I know) my mom quit pushing and fell asleep!!! The doctors started screaming, worried that I might be choked. (Gross, again, I know.) My mom woke up and finished the job. My aunt told her, "Boo, look at all of her hair!" My mom said, "That just means there is more to wash" and she fell asleep.

I can't say that my mom's first comments about me are ideal, but they are real.
Never before have I wondered what she was thinking when I was born; I've imagined what I'll be feeling when I have kids but never turned the tables to when I was born. (I've even had dreams where I met my babies.)

It seems that I was a lot of work for my mom, but I am thankful she devoted so much to me.
So, on my birthday I am going to be thankful for her and the other people who have raised me and shown me love.

Comments