Highs and Lows


After wanting a dog for nearly two years, I finally got one. When I dreamed of getting a dog, I imagined I would blog about her. But as reality is always different from my dreams, I haven't wanted to say much about her on my blog.
Why?
Because I'm never sure she is staying!
This dog's personality ebbs and flows. When she's happy, I want to blog about how wonderful of a dog I have. *Example: Last Friday night she was excited to go and had me laughing and amazed at how smart she is. Then we went to an outdoor concert where people kept stopping to pet her. One guy came back at least 3 times to talk to and pet her. They even shared some kisses. (aww) By the end of the night I was thinking, "How did I get so lucky to get such a wonderful dog?"
Fast forward. Stop. Not to far...Sunday is far enough to give you a glimpse of the not so wonderful dog that I was given. ("Given" because I won't claim her in these moments.)
Zoey (the dog) is terribly afraid of thunderstorms and fireworks. She shakes, paces, climbs on tables, counters, desks, and beds. She normally ends up letting loose of some liquid, too. Then she paws at the windows until she destroys the blinds. She has also removed carpet and carpet padding, and moved a very heavy dresser. On Sunday, while I was downtown, I left her out with Erica. When Erica had to go to the store, she put Zoey in her kennel. Once the thunder-demons started, Zoey knew she had to get out of her kennel, and out the windows to attack the thunder. (I'll romanticize it so I don't get angry.) She managed to collapse one of the sides of her kennel (I have no idea how) and proceeded to attack nearly all of the window blinds: the ones in my bedroom (which I just replaced from last week's fiasco), the living room, the door to the patio, the dining room, and the kitchen (meaning she climbed on the counters.)
Sunday night I came home to a late night of cleaning and a trip to Wal-Mart to buy 14 carabiner hooks to secure her kennel. And it is on days like these, that I consider sending her back to her foster home and claiming that I was only temporarily fostering her.
If you notice that I suddenly stop making references to Zoey, just know that she escaped from her kennel once again and destroyed something during a storm. And once you know that, it'll be safe to assume she has packed her bags for Austin to visit her foster mom. Because this mommy doesn't have a concrete cell for her.
And for that, please don't judge me. For the fear of admitting my failure is the reason I haven't spoken much of her on Classic Heather.

If you ever want to dog-sit. Just let me know.
xoxo,
Heather

Comments