Houstonian

I'm a Houstonian. I grew up celebrating my birthdays with George Straight at the rodeo. I remember beaming with pride and I-must-be-special-ness when my aunt bought me some red lace up boots. I skipped down the hall of her house to show my Uncle Joe. During one of these birthday-George Straight trips, someone (maybe my cousin) bought me a pink thinly woven cowgirl hat. I loved it.

The 'cool' kids in Jr. High were 'kickers' (a.k.a kids who wore Wranglers, Carhartt, Rockies, and Justin's). Just thinking back on this makes me realize how dumb we were.

Tomorrow is "Go Texan Day" around Houston. Schools and offices all around will encourage students/employees to wear jeans, boots, horrible shirts, and possibly hats. My company has bought tickets for us to attend the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cookoff. I've been wanting cowgirl boots since last year's rodeo, so I decided to take the plunge. And by plunge I mean the $160 plunge. How is it that I didn't spend that much on my normal boots that I find an excuse to wear with everything, but I found it acceptable for cowgirl boots? (I feel goofy typing cowgirl.)

I went to Cavendars and took the LAST parking spot. You would have thought they were having a 75% off sale! The line inside went from the door to the back of the store. I found the women's boots and started creating a collection of ones that I thought were pretty/cute/unique. Three sales people ended up helping me, two guys and one girl. They were the real deal; kind and funny country kids. The guys told me from the beginning that I would want Ariat boots because they were the most comfortable. The girl told me I'd like the tallest pair. The guys mentioned that if I was going to wear them with a dress, I'd want the tall and pointy toed ones.

I had laid my purse on the bench with my selection of boots. One of the guys was rocking the bench with his foot when the other said, "Dude, don't knock over the boots." I said, "Don't knock over my purse." He said, "Don't worry, I won't drop the Vera Bradley on the floor." To which I replied, "How did you know it was Vera Bradley?" "I have an expensive girlfriend." These guys cracked me up!

In the end, I left with the tall pair of Ariat boots.
...
and a cute floral dress (that I would have never paid that much for in any other store).

*I'll take pictures tomorrow!*

Comments