Weekend run down

This weekend was a good one. It was so full and yet relaxing that it felt like a vacation. I only thought about work while I was sleeping. Why must I do my work in my sleep?

Friday night was spent celebrating a friend's college graduation. I can't wait to see the amazing things he will do.

My best friend came to visit me on Saturday morning. She came to be here for all of my sister's prom preparations. My sister's prom wasn't until 8:00 (which, am I old or is that late?), so I calculated that we had plenty of time that morning before needing to go help with my sister's makeup, etc. Abbi and I had lunch at Jason's deli (Savy Chicken Salad Wraps <400 calories) and then headed to the library. I absolutely love the library where I live. When I move, I'll miss it. It is a piazza for the people of my suburb. (Anyone catch that reference to You've Got Mail?) The library has media rooms full of computers, modern chairs that I studied as an interior design major, video games (rock band, Wii, etc.) and movies. The best thing is that kids are actually using these spaces. Adults are spread through out the library. Some are at tables on their laptops. Others are gathered around tables chatting as if they are at a coffee shop.

Abbi is a teacher and made me venture into a part of the library I've never been---the children's section. They had canvas totes hanging on S-hooks. We had a peek and realized you could check out the entire bag and the assortment of books held within. How charming?! Lets just say, my child will have a library card at the age of 2. "When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does." (Sorry, another You've Got Mail reference.)

After the library we ended up in Target. Somehow this always happens when we are together. I was in a shopping mood (which is unusual for me) and bought tons of clothes. I swear, their new Calypso brand is going to make me poor. Beachy, causual but kind of dressy clothes always win me over.
(A new outfit.)
I had planned the day so that we could take a nap before going to help my sister get ready. 15 minutes into our nap, my roommate knocked on my door. She said my aunt was on the phone and was worried about me. Come to find out, my aunt had been trying to call me to see why I wasn't there to help my sister get ready. I had 10 missed calls from them. They had called my college roommate, current roommate, Abbi, and THE HOSPITAL. Apparently my sister had decided to get ready really early, and because I had turned down my phone while at the library, I hadn't heard my sister's text or any of the phone calls. My sister had gotten ready without us and was already at her friend's house. Abbi and I rushed to get ready so we could go see her. When I got there, my aunt hugged me and cried, "I already saw you in your funeral." To that I responded, "What was I wearing?" (I think my ex taught me to deflect emotion with humor. I need to break that habit.)
My sister was upset and had broken out in red splotches on her chest and arms. Needless, to say, I felt terrible for upsetting her and not being there on the day of her senior prom. After taking a few pictures, I picked up on the vibe that my sister was ready for us to leave. It seems I'm not cool anymore.
Abbi and left to have a wonderful dinner at Pappasito's where I had my first Pappasito's margarita. How do people have more than one!? I felt like I could lay down in the booth and take a nap afterwards! Instead, Abbi drove us to Party City to get decorations for my sister's graduation pool party. (You should come!) Then we went to see Bridesmaids. It was okay. Either way, I love a relaxing night at the movies. When you're there, you can't do anything else. You have no choice but to be in the moment. Even if that moment includes girls throwing up on each other at a dress fitting. Gross. After the movie, I wasn't ready to go to sleep so I talked Abbi into a few rounds of Just Dance. I tried a song I've never done before and loved letting my inner Ricky Ricardo side loose! While dancing I realized, there is nothing else I'd rather be doing right now. I was content and happy for this stage of my life. I ran through my ideas of other stages of life I could be in, and in all of them, I couldn't imagine us so freely dancing in the living room in our pajamas.
Now, after a Sunday morning at the pool, a nap, and an evening shower, its time to iron clothes for the week.


I'll leave you with some words from King Solomon:
"I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God." Ecclesiases 3:12-13

Have a good week. And may that goodness cause you to praise the creator of it all.
xoxo,
Heather

Comments