One day at a time

When it comes to reading the Bible I want to get it all in as fast as I can. I am like a hungry kid who hasn't eaten in a while and crams as much food in their mouth as possible. Of course, I often don't even remember what I read.

I have subscribed to Kerry Shook's podcast on iTunes. I was listening to him last night and he suggested that we not try to make goals related to HOW MUCH we will read, but rather how much we will get from what we read. He said that he talked to a guy once who said that he had been stuck on the same passage for weeks.

I tried it last night. I didn't even read a whole chapter. Instead I focused on a section and its meaning. Shook advised that we be able to apply what we read before moving on.

Something else that he said that I connect with is that we should DELIGHT in reading the Bible. And when we see it as a chore, we leave no room for delight!

I challenge you to read and focus. I read Matthew 5:21-26.

Okay, so I am not a murder, but get this:
"But I tell you that anyone who is ANGRY with his brother will be subject to judgement. ... But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Whoa! Those of you who know me also know how ANGRY I get at the people around me. I have even said equivalents to 'You fool!' (while inside my room of course!).

I prayed about this and had peace last night even as I listened to noise all around. I'm sure I'll be reading this same passage again tonight. In fact, I might read it every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night as long as I live here!

Comments