His Mysterious Ways

The weeks since Christmas could have been very bad for me. Life after ending a nearly 5 year relationship normally isn't go great. Each time I worry about being lonely, God sends someone or something my way.

Today I wondered what I would do tonight and hated the idea of being alone. As I was driving home, I decided to exit early because I saw flashing lights at my normal exit. I exited, and there on the feeder (which is still 3-4 lanes) were two dogs running through the middle of the road. Cars were stopping and luckily waiting for the dogs to get out of the way. I watched in my rearview mirror as the dogs made it across the road into the grass (between the highway and feeder). I did a U-turn and went to see if the two pretty labs (one black & one yellow) had tags.

I pulled over on the shoulder and called the dogs. They looked friendly enough so I reached to see if the black one had a tag on its collar. No tags. While I was checking the black dog for a tag, the yellow dog jumped in the front seat of my car. These dogs were wet and dirty. The yellow one looked like it had swam in the Trinity river within the past hour. I got the yellow dog (I call her Marley due to looks and temperment) out of my car and felt torn about what to do next. I had intended to pull over, check their tags, and return them to their owners. With no tags, I couldn't leave them there on the highway in 30 degree weather. I spread a blanket in the back of my SUV and motioned for them to get in. The black dog was more than eager to go for a ride.

I drove to the nearest road looking for close-by houses. There were none on the main road. There was a guy selling firewood on the side of the road so I pulled over to ask him if he knew the dogs. No luck. So the dogs came home with me.
So on a night where I was worried about something to do, God sent me two dogs. They have kept me busy! And even when I wasn't doing something for them, they both followed me around like lost puppies. ;)

I've posted an ad on Craigslist and searched for "lost" ads. I am taking them to the vet tomorrow to see if they have micro-chips.
I'll tell you more about them later. I'm exhausted!

Comments

bbes tribe said…
So kind of you to share with the 2 pups. Labs are great and a lot of company. Looks like they could be keepers. If not by you, hopefully by their owners or someone else very special.Good Job. We saw your blog and thought we'd drop by and say hi. If you'd like to visit us, that would be fine.
Wags
Ernie, Sasha, & Chica
Heather said…
Thanks for saying hi!

I have posted the rest of the story on my blog. Enjoy.