If my bank understands, why can't my credit card company?

I am not normally someone who steams about all of my customer service calls being routed to India, because I tend to get good service. (And I try to ignore the impacts on U.S. jobs.) But, sometimes you need to speak to an American--someone who is familiar with U.S. tax. 

I am trying to get a copy of my 1099. If they mailed it already, I don't know where it is. Considering I currently have three mailing addresses, it could be anywhere. 

The first call I made to my credit card company took me to a lady who had all of the key phrases down, but couldn't help me. After a couple of attempts she offered the amounts of my 2008 dividend payments. I told her thank you and asked if I could get that information on a 1099 and explained that if audited I would need a copy. She said, "Oh, you could show them where you deposited the checks."  Ahhh...yes I could, but I don't think they'll go for that. 

I called back. Got a guy this time. I think he hung up on me. I doubt my cell phone just lost signal.

Then I called my bank. (Where I knew I had very, very, very little interest but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have anything I needed to report.) Ah-ha! They have a line for tax information where you can get interest/dividend forms mailed to you. They listed the dates the forms were mailed and shared that if you earned less than $10 in interest, you would not receive a form unless requested. THEN....I got a live person who was glad to tell me that I had earned $3.50 in interest in 2008. That is why I don't put money in that account! 

I will call the credit card company again tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll talk to someone who can help. And I'll finally be able to finish my taxes!

Comments