Charles Martin


I recently tried my luck with a new book and author. I did not research books before heading to the store, just judged the books by their covers and synopsis. So far I am happy with what I found. Here is an excerpt from Down Where My Love Lives by Charles Martin. I love the way he puts thoughts into words. It is nothing deep and profound. There are no doctorate level words, just plain good thoughts. 

One night while laying in bed discussing the actors at the local South Carolina amphitheater, the main character tells his wife:

"When I see those people on stage, sometimes I think about the little drummer boy. Standing there, offering his gift. All he had. Right there at the foot of the King. I wonder what that moment was like. Was it quiet all except the sound of the drum? Were the animals shuffling about? Chewing hay? Where was Joseph? Was Jesus sleeping, up 'til He smiled? And the smile. What did he feel? I. . . I wish I could wring out my soul, like the drummer boy, and then stop midring, and know, in that minute , that that--whatever that was--was the perfect expression of a gift."

Comments