San Pedro

Today while at the eye doctor's office I was flipping through Travel and Leisure and saw an article about San Pedro, Belize. I was there just a few weeks ago and felt so stylish (ha) to have recently visited the cover story location of T&L.
So I guess its about time I share my experience in Belize with you! Here comes my most memorable times:

-Day long catamaran trip on "El Gato". We made two snorkeling stops: Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. I got to swim with sea turtles in the aqua-clear water of Hol Chan.

When we came up from the water, the captain had watermelon and pineapple sliced and waiting for us. Yum! Then we had rum punch while waiting on lunch to finish cooking. During this time, a storm rolled in and we sat covered in rain slickers and waited for it to pass. Then we ate and headed to Shark Ray Alley. Here we got to see some amazing coral clusters. Did you know that sea fans are in constant motion as if dancing? As the name implies, we also got to snorkel feet from SHARKS and sting rays. Don't worry, they were nurse sharks--harmless, or so I'm told.


-Riding through the small streets on the back of a golf cart--the main mode of transportation in San Pedro. We drove past people's small homes with sheet covered windows and doors. In the evenings, locals would sit outside their front door (basically on the street) and just be. Some were alone, some were sitting silent with another local, and some were laughing with friends. I found myself staring at them 'being.' They had nothing in their hands--no lap tops, no cell phones, no book. Could I do that?

-There were dogs everywhere. I even made a friend in one. I made the happy 'mistake' of petting it. Then its tail started wagging which lead to a game of fetch with a coconut nut. Then it followed me home and waited outside the door until we left. Luckily, people in Belize speak English, so the dog understood "sit" and "shake." Before that moment, I had never considered not being able to communicate with a dog who understands a language other than English.


-Visiting the local school--Holy Cross Anglican School. This school is fully funded by donations. They are giving these kids an education and knowledge of Jesus and all of the truth within the Bible. I would love to go back and work at the school. There were actually some college students from Canada who were doing their student teaching here. How awesome is that!? Check out the school's website (http://www.holycrossbelize.org/) and donate!


-Learning that key lime pie from Caramba, a great local restaurant, is amazing! Before this trip I didn't like key lime pie. But now I know how I like it: very tart. I loved it so much that I have spent tonight squeezing key limes to make my own key lime pie.

Comments